Tuesday, July 10, 2007

"The Simpsons" in Vermont

The Simpsons in Springfield, Vermont.

Springfield, Vermont took the national headlines today when it was chosen to be the home of "The Simpsons," yes, the TV Cartoon. I voted for it and told my friends to vote for it (but only several hundred of my closest ones).

In anticipation of that, I was actually in Springfield, a mere 119 miles south of Burlington. I didn't get to eat donuts (Homer would be displeased). But I did get to go to prison. It was part of my role on the Vermont Corrections Oversight Committee, where we focus on improving Vermont's prisons and jails. I spoke with a couple of inmates who pleaded for more support for mental health counciling, while they praised the service and support they received there. I've now been to 5 of Vermont's 9 correctional facilities, and will continue my visits, research, and legislation to reform our prison system.

1 Comments:

At October 09, 2007 11:19 PM, Blogger Springfield VT News said...

I am one of 200 volunteers who appeared in the winning Springfield Vermont video. After we helped our local Chamber of Commerce win the contest, they turned their backs on us. We should have been the first in town to be invited to view the world premiere of The Simpsons Movie but instead we were excluded so the elite members of the community could be issued special invitations. And then not even a word of thanks or mention of us in the public ceremony outside the theater. Read more and view our famous winning video now at our new website:
The Simpsons Springfield Vermont

 

Post a Comment

<< Home